Ah….summer….the season of fresh vegetables. For some reason, there always seem to be more zucchini than people can possibly eat. So instead of giving the extra away how about these yummy chocolate flavored cupcakes from Give Recipe with, you guessed it, zucchini! Oh, and banana. Wait, that means a cupcake with a fruit and a vegetable as ingredients? Doesn’t that mean these cupcakes are borderline healthy?
Chocolate Banana Zucchini Cupcakes
Makes about 12 cupcakes
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup mashed ripe banana
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 and ½ cups flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated and squeezed zucchini
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- 200g butter, at room temperature
- 200g powdered sugar
- 150g dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon sprinkles for garnish
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Whisk sugar, egg and vanilla well.
- Add in mashed banana and mix well.
- Pour olive oil and milk. Whisk.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a bowl and add this mixture to the wet mixture. Mix well with a spatula.
- Fold in grated zucchini and chocolate chips and stir.
- Share into the muffin liners.
- Bake for 25 minutes and let them cool.
- Meanwhile prepare the frosting.
- Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over simmering water and let it cool.
- Whisk sugar and butter very well on high speed for about 5 minutes.
- Pour melted chocolate in it and mix well.
- Pipe frosting over the cupcakes once they are cooled and garnish with sprinkles.