These kosher cupcakes from Cupcake Project are lemon flavored with baked in charoses. The charoses flavored frosting does use milk so it would only be appropriate if serving with a dairy meal but the cupcake would be just as delicious without the frosting. So surprise your Passover guests by serving a wonderful and different dessert.
Makes about 16 cupcakes
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 C sugar
- 3/4 C safflower oil
- Juice of 2 lemons (4 to 5 T)
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- 1 1/4 C matzo cake meal (not matzo meal)
- About 2 C charoses (recipe below if you don’t have your own go-to one.)
- Mix egg yolks and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil, lemon juice and zest.
- Add matzo cake meal to yolk and sugar mixture alternately oil mixture.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Using rubber spatula, fold 1/4 of the beaten egg whites into egg yolk mixture until well blended.
- Fold in remaining beaten egg whites.
- Fill cupcake liners about halfway with batter.
- Put a spoonful or more, of charoses on top of the batter on each cupcakes.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 1/2 C butter
- 1 C brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 C milk
- 2 C sifted confectioners’ sugar (I only used about 1 1/2 C)
- 2/3 C charoses
- In a saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter.
- Add the brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil and lower heat to medium low and continue to boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cool to lukewarm. Gradually add sifted confectioners’ sugar. (I would highly recommend sifting this confectioners’ sugar. It’s such a pain to sift, but it ensures that the frosting will be extra smooth.)
- Beat until thick enough to spread.
- Mix in charoses.
- Pour over cupcakes.
- 1 C chopped apples
- 1/4 C chopped nuts
- 1 t sugar or honey (This is not a choice. Use honey!)
- Grated rind of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 t cinnamon or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons red wine (about) (Don’t go for fancy wine here. You want Manischewitz Concord Grape. I can’t imagine charoses with any other wine. It’s really an essential ingredient.)
- Mix all ingredients.
- Add enough wine to bind the mixture.