No, these cupcakes from The Girl Who Ate Everything aren’t made from the actual candy corn candies (what are those made of, anyway?) but are made to look like candy corn. Did you know candy corn has been around since the 1880’s? It’s still a pretty popular candy around Halloween so I think it will be around for many years to come. But why no forgo the candy and have a cupcake that LOOKS LIKE the candy instead? Much better.
Candy Corn Cupcake
- 1 white cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Garnish: candy corns and orange sprinkles
- 1 cup butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl until incorporated. Scrape sides of bowl and then beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes.
- Divide batter in half and color one half orange and the other half yellow. Wilton has color gels that are really vivid. You can find them at craft stores.
- Fill paper liners with about 1-2 Tablespoons of yellow batter. Then top with 1-2 Tablespoons of orange batter. Bake according to cake mix package directions – about 15-18 minutes. Cool cupcakes and frost with your favorite frosting and garnish with a candy corn and sprinkles. Makes 18 cupcakes.
- For the Buttercream frosting: In a mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Add sugar and continue creaming until well blended. Add salt, vanilla, and whipping cream. Blend on low speed until moistened. Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy.