Yes indeed, that is popcorn on top of a cupcake. With brown butter frosting. You can diet tomorrow! But seriously, chocolate covered popcorn is a weakness of mine. A local specialty chocolate store makes it best and if I am feeling down or in need of a treat, I head to their store for a small package. It doesn’t last long.
This recipe from Just a Dash More has it all – a rich, dark chocolate cupcake, luscious brown butter frosting, and melted chocolate chips drizzled on top of popcorn. Yum!
Brown Butter Chocolate Popcorn Cupcakes
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 TSP baking soda
3/4 TSP baking powder
1/2 TSP salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 TSP vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, hot
Brown Butter Frosting
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 TSP vanilla extract
3 cups popcorn
For chocolate on top, use a double boiler and melt your favorite type of chocolate chips and drizzle on top of cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl add the milk, egg, canola oil and vanilla extract. Stir then add to the flour mixture.
- Beat until the ingredients are well combined and then add the coffee.
- Beat until mixture is very smooth.
- Line a muffin tin with liners and using a 1/4 cup measure, add batter to each cup.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting
- Add 4 tablespoons butter to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- Whisk constantly until brown bits appear on the bottom, about 5-6 minutes, then immediately remove from the heat and add the cream and brown sugar.
- Return to the heat and bring to a boil, boil for one minute.
- Remove from the heat and add to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Stir in the vanilla bean seeds and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Once cooled beat in the remaining softened butter. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar to the bowl and beat together until well combined.
- Let sit for 15-20 min to let harden a little bit.
To assemble the cupcakes:
- Frost the cupcakes then add a handful popcorn to each cupcake and use your hands to mold it together into a mound, making sure to push the popcorn into the frosting.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate on top the popcorn and place the cupcakes in the freezer for 5 minutes or let sit on the counter for 30 minutes so the chocolate can harden.
- These are best the same day you make them ( as the popcorn might become stale if you wait too long) Enjoy!!