Pizzazzerie calls these “New York Style” black and white cupcakes, like the cookies. Not sure about the reference to New York since we have the cookies here in Florida but that doesn’t really matter. The cookies are to die for! Imagine a the cookie is now a cake covered in half vanilla and half chocolate glaze. Exactly. Doesn’t matter where the cookie became popular, all that matters is that you make a batch of the cupcakes wherever you are.
Black and White Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
For the Cupcakes:
- In an electric mixer fit with paddle attachment, beat together butter and sugar until creamy and light. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly between each addition.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Alternating with milk, add flour mixture to creamed butter/sugar mixture. Do not over-mix, just until incorporated.
- Add in extract and stir well.
- Divide evenly into 12 cupcake liners and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
For the Glazes:
- In a medium-size saucepan, stir together water and corn syrup over medium heat.
- Continue stirring until boiling (medium-high heat). Remove from heat.
- Stir in powdered sugar with whisk, 1 cup at a time, until smooth and creamy without lumps.
- Pour half of glaze into microwave-safe bowl.
- Add chocolate to remaining half and stir until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Use an offset spatula to drizzle chocolate across center of cupcakes in a line. Fill in one side with chocolate glaze. Fill in other side with white glaze.
- If glazes thicken, warm slightly in microwave or on stove-top.