Ok, I know this is a family page, but sometimes you just have to call it like it is. Five – FIVE – kinds of chocolate in these cupcakes from Cupcake Project. Yes, I said five. Chocolate cake with chocolate chips, chocolate mousse filling, chocolate ganache, and white chocolate drizzled over top of all that heaven. Nothing more needs to be said. The end.
Better Than Sex Cupcakes
Makes 16 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- You can fill these cupcakes with any chocolate mousse recipe you like. See Cupcake Project recipe below.
- 3.5 oz of dark chocolate broken into small pieces (I used Patric chocolate)
- 1/3 C heavy cream
- 2 ounces white chocolate.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Beat butter until softened.
- Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined.
- Measure the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder into a small sized bowl and whisk to combine.
- Measure out the milk and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Add about a third of the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar and beat to combine. Add about a half of the milk/vanilla and beat to combine.
- Continue adding, alternating between dry and wet and finishing with the dry.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into cupcake cups about 1/2 full.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- To fill the cupcakes, use a small paring knife to cut a cone into the cupcake. Spoon or pipe (I found piping to be easier) chocolate mousse into the hole. Replace the top. Don’t worry if the top of the cupcake doesn’t look pretty any more, you are going to frost over it so no one will know the difference.
- Place the chocolate in a small glass bowl.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan until it just starts to boil.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and stir until all the chocolate is melted and integrated with the cream.
- While it is still warm, spread a thin layer of it over the cupcakes. It will harden when it cools.
- Melt white chocolate. You can do this on the stove, but I find it easier to do in the microwave. I do it for 20 seconds at a time. Stir after each round. When it is all melted, you are done. It should take about a minute.
- Pour the melted chocolate into a plastic sandwich bag or a disposable pastry bag. Cut a very small hole at the tip of the bag and draw whatever kind of funky pattern you want onto your cupcakes!
Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- 8 raw eggs, separated (I suggest using pasteurized eggs)
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons black coffee
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks until they are a pale yellow.
- Melt the chocolate with the coffee using a double boiler or a metal boil over boiling water.
- Remove from heat, and mix with a beater or wire whisk, adding the egg yolks a little at a time.
- Add the brandy.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until they are foamy and hold soft peaks.
- Mix two tablespoons of the whipped egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Gently fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into a glass bowl or individual serving dishes and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours. The mousse will thicken up as it chills.
If you are using this a filling for Better Than Sex Cupcakes, it will fill all 16 with some leftover for snacking.