Ah yes, fall is apple season. The cooler days make me hungry for fall tasting food – apples, cinnamon, and nutmeg. While these cupcakes from She Knows taste pretty awesome plain, we have included a gluten free cream cheese frosting recipe from Elana’s Pantry.
Apple Spice Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped green apple
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 10 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut flour, arrowroot powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, grapeseed oil and agave nectar. Blend the wet ingredients into the coconut flour mixture with a handheld mixer until thoroughly combined, then fold in the apples.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of the batter into each prepared muffin cup.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for one hour, then frost and serve.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Whip heavy cream until stiff
- In a separate larger bowl, whip cream cheese until smooth, then blend in agave and vanilla
- With a rubber spatula, gently blend whip cream into cream cheese mixture