Here’s a not too secret secret….it will soon be fall! It is my favorite time of the year mainly because of the cooler temperatures but also because it is apple season. I do so love fresh apples! She Knows came up with this great recipe to make apple pie filling with fresh apples to “stuff” these cupcakes. The cinnamon buttercream adds even more cinnamon flavor to really give these cupcakes that apple pie kick!
Apple Pie Filled Cupcakes
makes about 24 cupcakes
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 4 medium-size apples (peeled, cored and cubed)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Prepare cake mix according to box directions and divide mix into 24 lined cupcake tins. Follow box directions and cook until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While cupcakes are baking start to prepare the filling. Add your cut apples to a sided pan and add brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Cook till apples are soft and the sauce starts to cook down.
- In a small bowl add the cold water and stir with cornstarch. Add to hot apple mixture and cook till it starts to get thick.
- Take off the heat and let cool before you fill cupcakes.
- Cut a small cone shape out of the middle of the cupcake and fill with cooled apple pie filling.
- Top with cinnamon buttercream frosting.
Cinnamon buttercream frosting recipe
Yields 2 cups
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 tablespoons heavy cream or half-and-half
- In the bowl of an electric mixer add butter, cinnamon and salt.
- Beat until combined and start to slowly add powdered sugar. Once the icing starts to become fluffy slowly add in heavy cream a tablespoon at a time. Beat until desired consistency is reached. Add more heavy cream to thin out icing if necessary.