Are you looking for an easy recipe for miniature apple pie confections? Betty Crocker to the rescue with these easy apple pie cupcakes using refrigerated cinnamon rolls as the “cake”. Ok, so that makes them sort of like a muffin but they are topped with whipped cream which makes them – technically – a cupcake. At least that’s how it works at my house.
Apple Pie Cupcakes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced into 1/4-inch cubes
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
Juice of half lemon (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 can (12.4 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated cinnamon rolls with icing
- Directions1 . Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray 8 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. In 10-inch skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add apples; cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons brown sugar, the cinnamon and salt. Cook 5 minutes longer or until tender. Stir in lemon juice.
3. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix Topping ingredients with fork or hands until crumbly. Set aside.
4. Separate dough into 8 rolls. Flatten each into 4-inch round; place in muffin cup.
5. Divide Apple Filling evenly onto rolls in muffin cups. Divide Topping evenly over Filling.
6. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until bubbly and tops are lightly browned. Cool slightly before removing from muffin cups. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
7. Serve cupcakes topped with whipped cream and a drizzle of syrup.