Oh, and chocolate chips and Heath bar bits. Now technically, apples are a fall thing so these cupcakes from Homemade Cravings are technically meant for, say, September but that just doesn’t seem right. Apples, cream cheese and caramel are delicious in ANY season. So be a rebel and make these cupcakes even though it isn’t fall. You’ll be glad you did.
Apple Cupcakes with Cream Cheese and Caramel
- 1 Box Golden Butter Cake Mix
- 1 Stick of Butter, Melted and Cooled
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Apple Cider
- 1/3 Cup Musselman’s Apple Butter
- 1 Stick Butter, at room temperature
- 1 Package Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 2-3 Cup Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Caramel, microwaved for 30 seconds to soften
- 1/2 C Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1/3 C Heath Bits
- Heat oven to 350 and line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients (through apple butter) and mix well with a hand mixer.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 of the way full. Bake 18-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- In a standing mixer or with a hand mixer blend butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time, blending after each one until you reach a thick frosting consistency. Add heavy cream and vanilla and blend. Add more cream if the frosting is too thick or powdered sugar if too thin. Chill before frosting.
- Frost cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, drizzle with caramel and top with mini chips and Heath bits.