Chocolate and red wine? Together in one tasty cupcake package? Yes, indeed! We can thank Sensual Appeal for these delicious cupcakes. How perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Chocolate Red Wine Cupcakes
Makes about 8 cupcakes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup turbinado sugar
4 packets Stevia
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cups red wine
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line a muffin tin with liners or parchment cups.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter with the sugar at medium-high speed until fluffy, 4 minutes.
- Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Add the vanilla and beat for 2 minutes longer.
- Working in two batches, alternately fold in the dry ingredients and the wine, until just incorporated.
- Scrape the batter into the cups, and bake for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely.
Red Wine Buttercream Frosting
- 1/3 cup red wine + 1/2 tbsp, divided
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1.5 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Place red wine and sugar in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat while stirring constantly until the sugar is all dissolved. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for a while, while stirring sometimes (not constantly).
- Cook until the syrup is reduced to about 3 Tbsp. Put in a mug, let cool a little bit and stick in the fridge for a few hours to cool completely.
- Whisk the butter while adding confectioner’s sugar to it by 1/4 cup increments.
- Cream together to form a frosting. Once a nice consistency is reached (almost all of the required confectioner’s sugar is in), add the wine reduction and continue beating.
- Add some more confectioner’s sugar. Then add 1/2 Tbsp of red wine. Add more confectioner’s sugar if desired.