I have to admit that I had never eaten a Golden Oreo until some time last year when I made this new dessert using crushed Golden Oreos to make cheesecake and caramel dessert bars. One day, I will try to turn that recipe into cupcakes. Otherwise, I am an original Oreo fan (preferably DoubleStuf).
Anyway, I like the simplicity of this recipe from Crazy for Crust which uses a boxed cake mix dressed up with bananas for the banana cupcakes. The batter goes on top of a Golden Oreo and this is all topped with a cream cheese frosting. YUM!
Banana Golden Oreo Cupcakes
- 30 Golden Oreos, plus more for garnish
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 tired bananas (with brown spots)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream, if needed for consistency
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line pans with cupcake liners (makes about 30 cupcakes). Place a Golden Oreo in the bottom of each liner.
- Place bananas in a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher until completely smushed. Add cake mix, oil, eggs, and water. Mix for 30 seconds on low speed with a hand mixer, then 2 minutes on medium.
- Scoop into prepared pans, filling about 3/4 full. Bake for 14-15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting: beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar and mix, 1 cup at a time, until combined. Add vanilla and beat until smooth. If needed to reach piping consistency, add a tablespoon of heavy cream (or 2). I didn’t need to use any cream. Frost or pipe onto cupcakes (I used a 1M tip) and top with a 1/2 or full Golden Oreo.
- Store in refrigerator.