Not only are these cupcakes pretty and delicious, they are also egg and dairy free. Depending on how you feel about the processed sugars in the Oreo cookies, they can also be considered vegan. This recipe is courtesy of Cake Merchant.
Mint Chocolate Oreo Cupcakes
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 10 Mint Oreos, chopped
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margerine (I used Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated shortening (I used Spectrum Organics)
- 3 cups powdered sugar (I used Wholesome Sweeteners)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- A few drops of green gel food coloring
- 3 tablespoons soymilk
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips (such as Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet or 365 brand)
- 6 Mint Oreos, cut in half
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a cupcakes tin with 12 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soymilk and vinegar. Set it aside for a couple of minutes to curdle.
- Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla to the “buttermilk.” Whisk until the mixture is foamy.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix until all the ingredients are combined. Stir in the cookie pieces.
- Divide the batter equally between the 12 cupcake liners and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Beat the shortening and margerine together on medium speed until fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat for another 3 minutes. Start your mixer on low until the powdered sugar is just combined, otherwise you’ll be wearing it. Then increase the speed to medium.
- Add the vanilla extract, mint extract, and food coloring. I added the food coloring a drop at a time, until in matched the inside of the oreo. Beat on medium high until combined.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes cooled cupcakes
- In a small saucepan, heat the soymilk until it is just about to simmer. Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the chocolate chips, and stir to combine. Set aside to cool for about 5 minutes. Once the ganache has cooled, put it into a piping bag or plastic bag, snip off a small amount from corner of the bag, and drizzle over the top of the cupcakes. Top with half an Oreo.
Recipe adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World. You can substitute regular butter for the Earth Balance and regular milk for the soy milk.