February 22 is National Margarita Day. Celebrate with these tequila filled cupcakes, recipe courtesy of Betty Crocker! According to mixologist Kyle Ford, the first margarita was created in 1948 by Margaret “Margarita” Sames, a Dallas socialite with a penchant for tequila.
Strawberry Margarita Cupcakes
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
- 1 cup bottled strawberry margarita or daiquiri mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 3 egg whites or whole eggs
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 box (1 lb) powdered sugar (4 cups)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons bottled strawberry margarita or daiquiri mix
- 12 slices lime, each cut in half
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Place foil or paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- In large bowl, beat all cupcake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Divide batter among muffin cups.
- Bake 18 to 23 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove cupcakes from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely.
- In large bowl, beat shortening and butter with electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating until combined. Add 1 tablespoon of the margarita mix; beat until blended. Add enough of the remaining 1 to 2 tablespoons margarita mix, 1 teaspoon at a time, beating until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Spoon frosting into decorating bag fitted with #1M star tip; pipe frosting in circular pattern on tops of cupcakes. Garnish with lime slices.
Virgin Margarita Cupcakes
To make virgin margarita cupcakes, replace the tequila with 1/4 cup more margarita mix, which is nonalcoholic. Some brands may be labeled daiquiri and margarita mix.
To make the frosting boozy, substitute 1 tablespoon tequila for 1 tablespoon of margarita mix.
If you don’t have a decorating bag and tip, spoon frosting into a large resealable food-storage plastic bag and cut off a corner of the bag to pipe frosting onto cupcakes.