These cupcakes from The Domestic Rebel are sort of a little bit of this and a little bit of that. If you are a fan of a Seven Layer Bar dessert, then you will LOVE these! Even the buttercream frosting has a little bit of this and a little bit of that – just to keep things interesting. There’s something for everyone to love!
Seven Layer Bar Cupcakes
Makes 18-20 cupcakes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix, plus ingredients on back of box
- 1 small box instant butterscotch pudding mix
- ¾ cup miniature marshmallow bits, divided
- 1 cup miniature chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ⅔ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (32 oz) bag powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin pans with about 18-20 paper liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl, prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Stir in the butterscotch pudding mix to combine. Lastly, add in ½ of the marshmallow bits, ½ of the mini chocolate chips, ½ of the graham cracker crumbs and ½ of the chopped pecans, stirring to blend.
- Divide batter evenly among liners and bake until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the softened butter, vanilla extract and sweetened condensed milk until creamy, about 2 minutes. Gradually begin adding powdered sugar, about a cup at a time, until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Gently mix in the remaining graham cracker crumbs, marshmallow bits, miniature chips and coconut.
- Pipe the frosting (using a very large round tip or else your tip will be clogged) high onto the cooled cupcakes; garnish with a couple of butterscotch chips. Serve!