I heard a rumor that one of the mini mart chains started to sell pumpkin spice coffee for the fall season. And it’s not even September yet! Halloween decorations are out everywhere and I have already seen Christmas stuff for sale. It’s getting crazier every year. But these bite sized cupcakes from Baked by an Introvert are anything but crazy. A pumpkin spice cake topped with ginger flavored cream cheese frosting and caramel. You’ll want to save this recipe for when it is REALLY fall!
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Sweet Ginger Frosting
Yields: 42 mini cupcakes
To make regular sized cupcakes: Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners. spoon ¼ cup batter into each cup. Bake cupcakes for 20 to 25 minutes.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup2 all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup milk
For the frosting:
- 8oz package mascarpone cheese, softened
- 4 oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
For the caramel:
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 Tbs unsalted butter
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and granulated sugar until fluffy. Beat in the pumpkin puree. Add the eggs one at a time; beat well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Measure flour by fluffing it with a fork then lightly spoon it into a dry measuring cup, level the top with the back of a knife. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice in a medium bowl; stir with a fork or whisk. Gradually add the flour mixture to the banana mixture alternating with the milk. Begin and end with the flour mixture.
- Line a mini muffin pan with paper cups. Spoon 2 tsp of batter into each cup. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cupcake springs back when touched. Remove from pan immediately and allow the cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Make the frosting: Beat the mascarpone and cream cheese on medium speed until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar; beat on low until smooth. Beat in vanilla extract and ground ginger just until incorporated. Spread the frosting over cooled cupcakes.
- Make the caramel: Melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add brown sugar, stir well with a silicone spatula. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Boil until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Stir in evaporated milk and let the mixture boil for 2 minutes. Drizzle caramel over the frosting.