Mmmm….frosting! Yes, I do love frosting because without it a cupcake is just a muffin. Right? Sweet Revelations topped French Vanilla Cupcakes with this cherry flavored buttercream frosting which is perfect for Valentine’s Day. The frosting is a lovely pink color with just a touch of cherry flavor. Something a little different to wow your sweetie!
Maraschino Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup pureed maraschino cherries (I also included a few tsp of the syrup)
*Note: if you find the cherry icing doesn’t have a strong enough cherry flavour, add a few drops of cherry oil which can be found at most baking supply stores.
1. Fill a saucepan (large enough to fit your mixing bowl just a few inches) with two inches of water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to med-low so water continues to simmer.
2. In your stand mixer bowl, hand whisk the egg whites and the sugar just until combined. Place over simmering pot and whisk for approx 4 mins until the egg whites are hot (about 150 degrees). The sugar should be dissolved by this time as well. Place bowl on stand mixer and attach the whisk attachment. Whisk on medium speed until whites have increased in volume, are thick and glossy and the outside of the bowl is just slightly warm to the touch (this can take up to 10 minutes!).
3. Remove whisk attachment and replace with paddle attachment. Beat on low-speed until mixture is completely cooled. Increase speed to medium and add butter pieces one at a time. Scrape the bowl and continue to beat until buttercream is glossy, smooth and thick. It may separate at first, but continue beating and it will emulsify. Add vanilla flavouring, a pinch of salt and cherry puree (to taste) and beat until combined. Use immediately.