Believe it or not, summer is just around the corner so it’s time for some lighter fare and these cupcakes from Your Cup of Cake are perfect for warm days. And picnics. And, well, just because. I love the mousse like frosting which is light and creamy. Just think of the flavor possibilities!
Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake:
1 box white cake mix
1/3 C. oil
1/2 C. lemon juice, fresh
lemon zest of 2 lemons
1/2 C. sour cream or plain yogurt
1 1/2 Tbsp. Poppy Seeds
Lemon Quick Mousse:
1 Box Instant Lemon Pudding Mix
2 C. heavy whipping cream
Sprinkles for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcakes liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, lemon juice. lemon zest and sour cream until smooth.
4. Stir in cake mix and poppy seeds.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Let cool.
7. Lemon Quick Mousse: Using a whisk attachment (I use my KitchenAid mixer) beat instant pudding mix and heavy whipping cream until thick. (If you want to make extra mousse you can add an extra cup of whipping cream!)
8. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles.