Legend has it that fairies put a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and then had the leprechauns guard it. The luck associated with St. Patrick’s Day includes the luck needed to find that ever elusive pot of gold. I suppose that’s why we always for the end of the rainbow when we see one after a rainstorm.
These whimsical Somewhere Over the Rainbow cupcakes from Savvy Shopper Central take luck out of the equation. Each and every one includes a rainbow with a pot of gold cupcake at the end.
Gluten Free Somewhere Over the Rainbow Cupcakes
- 3 cups Gluten-Free Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Milk
- 2/3 cup Safflower Oil
- 1 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Apple sauce
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Stir flour & baking powder together
- Mix milk, oil, sugar, applesauce, vanilla, and salt
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix about 2 minutes (until smooth)
- Fill each cup with about 1/4 cup of batter
- Bake for 17 minutes (toothpick should come out clean)
- Let cool a few minutes and move to cooling rack
- Once your cupcakes are completely cool, you can decorate them!
Gluten Free Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- green food coloring (I prefer the gels)
- Combine cream cheese & agave until well blended.
- Whip in cream (a little at a time) until the frosting thickens to the consistency you would like.
- Add food coloring, 1 drop at a time, until it reaches the color you would like
- To create the grass-like texture, place frosting into a piping bag and use a multi-opening tip – 223
For the rainbow topping, use Rainbow Airheads candy with mini marshmallows at each end.