For some reason, these cupcakes from Julie’s Cafe Bakery made me think of ginger snap cookies. Not exactly the same but both are made with some form of ginger. There is fresh ginger in the buttercream frosting – yes, fresh ginger! Yum! A great way to get your daily dose of something healthy! Well, sort of.
Ginger Cupcakes with Caramel
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour, do not use self-rising
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Basic Ginger Buttercream
- 3/4 cups-/1 1/2 Sticks,butter softened to room temp.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tsp.fresh grated ginger,or 1 Tsp.ground dry ginger
- 1/2 Tsp.vanilla
- 1/2 cup,finely minced crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix on low speed until combined. Add butter, mixing until just coated with flour.
- In a large glass measuring cup, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. With mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in 3 parts, scraping down sides of bowl before each addition; beat until ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat.
- Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about 2/3 full. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat process with remaining batter. Once cupcakes have cooled, use a small offset spatula to frost tops of each cupcake. Decorate with sprinkles, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Butter Cream Instructions
- Beat butter in medium bowl until creamy.
- Add sugar beat on high until smooth.
- Beat another minute,before adding vanilla.
- Continue to beat 3 more minutes.
- Stir in crystallized ginger by hand.
- Swirl with some Caramel and add a few Ginger pieces to garnish
Note you may want to add honey to the buttercream as a sweetener