Yes, I am a sucker for Ghirardelli chocolate. There’s just something about the rich, creamy texture of what I call luxury chocolate that makes it seem so much more indulgent. A couple of years ago, a friend sent me a basket of Ghirardelli chocolate for Christmas and someone in the building where I work stole it. Yes, STOLE an entire basket of chocolate. By tracking the electronic key swipe, we narrowed it down to two people but neither one would own up to it. But there was a happy ending – Ghirardelli so very kindly shipped another basket at no charge. Now THAT is how you gain a customer for life!
Not sure anything more needs to be said about these rich, dark and chocolately cupcakes from Allrecipes. Nope, not a word. I just wish I had one right now.
Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 1/4 teaspoonss baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk plus
- 2 tablespoonss whole milk
- 1/3 cup strong brewed coffee or espresso
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 6 ouncess Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate baking bar, broken or chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoonss unsalted butter
- 1 cup Ghirardelli Milk or Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 cupcake molds or muffin tins with paper liners.
2. To make the cupcakes, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, brown sugar, and white sugar. Whisk in milk, coffee, and melted butter. Whisk in the dry ingredients. Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake molds, filling them about 3/4 full.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Using a small spatula or knife, remove the cupcakes from the pan. Continue to cool on a wire rack to room temperature.
5. To make the frosting, melt the chopped chocolate in the top of a double boiler, or in a heatproof bowl over barely simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Heat the cream until hot. Remove from the heat and whisk in the chocolate. Transfer to a bowl and cool to just warm. Whisk in the butter until smooth. Let sit until it reaches a spreading consistency, about 1 hour. Spread the frosting on top of the cupcakes. Sprinkle them with chocolate chips.