It’s only fair that we add a Dr. Pepper Cupcake since we already did a root beer recipe. Seems Dr. Pepper is one of those flavors you either love or hate and if you love it, you are fanatical. So here ya go, Dr. Pepper fans, BS’ In the Kitchen crafted this recipe with Dr. Pepper in the cake AND the frosting. You’re welcome!
Dr. Pepper Cupcakes
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of Dr. Pepper
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the batter into cupcake liners and bake at 350°F for 12 minutes.
This icing recipe also doesn’t have overly specific measurements, so it’s a dash-and-taste recipe. Add each ingredient in dashes, tasting as you go along until you get something you like:
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 kg bag+ of Icing Sugar (approximately 2 pounds of powdered sugar)
- 2 tbsp Dr. Pepper
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp Maraschino cherry juice
- dashes/to taste: finely, finely, finely, finely ground pepper
- dashes/to taste: nutmeg
- dashes/to taste: ginger
- dashes/to taste: grated liquorice pipes
- dashes/to taste: lemon juice
- dashes/to taste: apple flavouring
- Dr. Pepper Reduction (bring 2 cups of Dr.Pepper and 1 cup of sugar to boil and reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes) – add to taste
**NOTES: It seems that some people are having trouble with the reduction (they can be tricky!), when you are making your icing, and have completed the reduction, carefully add it into the icing. If you add too much, your icing may end up being too runny, so slowly add, and stop once you have reached your desired consistency. Drizzle the rest of the reduction over your cupcakes like in the photos! If the reduction scares you, it’s perfectly okay to omit it, the cupcakes will still taste awesome!