Do you love red velvet cake? Or maybe just the color red? Well, On Sugar Mountain has just the cupcake for you! The cake is a delicious devil’s food chocolate flavor while the frosting is flavored with red velvet cake mix. How lovely would these be for any patriotic occasion? Or, well, just because!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Red Velvet Frosting
Makes approximately 1 1/2 dozen cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- black candies/sprinkles, if desired
For the Red Velvet Buttercream:
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup red velvet cake mix (just the powder mix, not prepared)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2-12 cup muffin pans with paper liners. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together oil and both sugars until well combined. Whisk in eggs and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredient mixture over dry ingredient mixture and mix, then carefully stir in hot water until smooth.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 way full with batter (you should get about 18 cupcakes) and bake at 350 for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes then carefully remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Sift together the cake mix, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar.
- Beat butter for a full three minutes, or until pale and fluffy. Then, beat in 1 cup of powdered sugar mixture at a time until thick frosting comes together.
- Add in vanilla and half of cream and beat until fluffy. If needed, beat in rest of heavy cream until frosting reaches desired consistency.
- Pipe or dollop frosting onto cooled cupcakes and top with any desired sprinkles or candies.