Most of us in the US are struggling this week because of the time change that went into effect over the weekend. It always takes a while to adjust to daylight happening at a different time. If you need some coffee to help you get used to the new daylight hours, Roxana’s Home Baking has just the cupcake for you! There is coffee – real coffee – in the cake AND the frosting! The coffee, chocolate and sugar should give you just enough spark to get through the day!
Chocolate Coffee Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream
Makes about 18 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) room temperature butter
- 1 cup (200 grams) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brewed cold coffee
- 1 3/4 cup (210 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (20 grams) unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powder sugar
- 1 tbsp brewed cold coffee
- 2-3 tbsp heavy cream
- Heat the oven to 350F. Line two cupcake pans with 18 paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture alternately with the cold coffee to the creamed butter.
- Mix until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake pan and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave the cupcakes in the pan for 5 minutes before placing them on wire racks to cool completely.
- When the cupcakes are completely chilled, make the frosting.
- In a mixing bowl whisk the butter for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the powder sugar, 1/2 cup at the time, whisking well.
- When all the sugar is incorporated add the cold coffee and enough heavy cream to reach the desired consistency. Whisk for an additional minute.
- Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag and frost the cupcakes.
- Grate some chocolate on top or sprinkle some crushed candy (optional)