Do you love cookie dough? Well, then you will love these cupcakes from The Baker Upstairs which start with a light and moist vanilla cake topped with cookie dough flavored buttercream. Yum! Like having a cookie on top of a cupcake!
Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Buttercream
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, cold, cut into small cubes
1 1/2 cup milk (I used skim, and it worked fine)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 ounces mini chocolate chips, plus more for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line two muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl or a the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the butter and mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the milk and vanilla in a measuring cup, and add about half of the milk mixture to the flour mixture. Beat until well blended and smooth.
- Add the other half of the milk mixture, and beat until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill paper liners 2/3 full and bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for a few minutes and then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Cookie Dough Buttercream
3 sticks softened butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a large bowl combine the butter and brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the salt, milk, and vanilla and beat to combine.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.