That’s right – cheesecake flavored cupcakes with cream cheese filling! What makes these cupcakes from The Domestic Rebel even BETTER is that the cake part is made from a jazzed up box mix. Easy and delicious – my kind of cupcake!
Makes about 24 cupcakes
- 1 box yellow cake mix + ingredients on back of box
- 1 small box sugar free/fat free cheesecake instant pudding
- 1 (8oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 cups powdered sugar
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- About 4 cups powdered sugar
- About 4 honey graham crackers, crushed into a fine crumb
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin tins with 24 paper liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, egg and powdered sugar until blended and thick, about 1 minute. This is your cheesecake filling. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, prepare cake mix according to package instructions. Stir in cheesecake pudding mix until blended. Portion batter evenly into muffin tins, about ⅔ full. Add one heaping Tablespoon of cheesecake filling and spoon it on top of the batter. Bake cupcakes for about 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted around the edge of the cupcake comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Allow to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, cream cheese and vanilla with the paddle attachment until creamy and light, about 2 minutes. Gradually add in the powdered sugar, about a cup at a time, until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes, taking care to cover the cheesecake middles of the cakes. Garnish with graham cracker crumbs. Serve! Store leftovers in the fridge, covered.