So if cupcake ingredients include carrots, pineapple, and raisins does that make them healthy? Can we just say it does? This recipe from Garnish and Glaze has all those things! So there ya go a healthy cupcake for you to enjoy!
Caramel Pecan Carrot Cupcakes
For the Cake:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- ½ cup crushed pineapple, well-drained
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- ½ cup pecans or walnuts (optional)
For the Frosting:
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 1¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup caramel topping
- ⅓ cup pecans, chopped
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Make a well and add oil, eggs, and vanilla and mix well. Stir in carrots, pineapple, raisins, and nuts until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full with batter.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- With an electric mixer (hand or standing), cream butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt together starting at a slow speed (takes about 2 minutes to come together). Continue to cream for a couple minutes until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese 2 ounces at a time and beat 2 more minutes (scrape down as needed).
- Place frosting tip (2D or 1M) in a piping bag and fill with frosting. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes starting at the outside of the cupcake and work you way in as you circle up.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the caramel over the tops of the frosted cupcakes. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.